Re: Please review: Updated draft of conformance section for next draft

From: Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:08:15 -0700
Cc: <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 11:54  PM, Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG
wrote:

> Hum.... i think if we "adapt" the WCAG to the 508, for the same we
> need to
> adapt the WCAG to all the local countries normative but - as had said
> during
> a meeting in Venice Daniel Dardailler - local government
> representative must
> be involved in the working group and the WCAG must be "the document".

I don't propose adapting WCAG to 508. But WCAG 2 is working on what 508
is missing: objective, testable requirements that authors can use. If
we can produce a document that lets people say with confidence that
they did 508, I consider that a step forward.

This would be a step toward harmonizing Web development processes by
pointing out that if you learn accessibility with WCAG, you can design
content that conforms to a range of existing policies. Presently, one
of the most common questions I get is "should I do 508 or WCAG?", and I
don't want to have to hear that anymore.

-