RE: [#293] Summary for tables

I'm not sure about using the "class" attribute to indicate layout tables.
Class is used (and as far as I know primarily intended) to hook CSS to HTML
documents, so we would be defining a CSS class that the author has to use
and work with. What if they have two kinds of layout tables (maybe a
navigation bar table and a content table) and want to assign separate CSS
classes to them? In theory you can assign multiple class values to an
element by using a space-delimited list, but last time I checked mainstream
browser support for that did not exist. Even if it did, it muddies semantics
to have some class values for CSS and some class values providing a
different kind of identification of the element. Also, unless the convention
were to become extremely widespread it would not offer much practical
benefit. I have the same concern about using the keyword "layout" in the
"summary" attribute as well. It could be useful to some tools but, not being
a part of the HTML spec, wouldn't be implemented widely enough to do much
good.

I don't think we can make "class" or "summary" attribute values part of the
HTML spec, and therefore we can't require them in WCAG. We can recommend
them, and I'm ok with that, but I question its utility. As a tool developer
I might be expected to favor any kind of easily machine-detectable
differentiation, but unless I can expect that differentiation to exist on
just about any page I analyze, I still have to fall back to other methods. I
would love to see the invention of a <layouttable> element, or maybe a
"type" attribute for <table> that defines two values, "layout" and "data".
If those were part of the spec then we wouldn't have to worry about language
issues, mixed semantics, inconsistent implementation, etc. (as much). But
given the momentum behind current use of the <table> element I'm not sure
that's a practical suggestion either.

So in summary, I think we can suggest these uses of the "summary" and/or
"class" attributes if we want, but I'm not sure what it gains us, and I
don't think we can require them as part of WCAG conformance.

Michael