[#293] Summary for tables

From: Michael Cooper <michaelc@watchfire.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:05:30 -0400
To: "WAI GL (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

The old summary bugaboo. We need to resolve this in order to close the table
discussions.

What should requirements be for "summary" attribute on data and layout
tables? Possible requirements are don't provide, provide null, provide a
genuine summary, or do whatever seems best for the situation.

As a starting proposal I suggest that layout tables be required to have no
summary, and data tables be required to have a non-null summary. This is by
no means generally accepted and needs discussion.

Michael

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Project Manager
Watchfire