Re: Data and layout tables: definition

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:13:47 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

From: "Eric Velleman"
> Is there an official kind of definition of a data table and a layout
table?

I found this (and I cited it in my recent book):

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tabular-information
"When tables are used to represent logical relationships among data --
text, numbers, images, etc., that information is called "tabular
information" and the tables are called "data tables". The relationships
expressed by a table may be rendered visually (usually on a
two-dimensional grid), aurally (often preceding cells with header
information), or in other formats."

Perhaps not perfect, but may help.

Best

Maurizio Boscarol