From: Lee Roberts [mailto:leeroberts@roserockdesign.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 2:18 pm
To: WCAG List
Subject: RE: 5.2

The reasoning for two independent implementations was to limit the concept
that one group would benefit while another would not.  At least that was my
goal when Jason and I proposed this wording.

There was to be included a segment that stated that no one could claim an
accessible status if they required tools that were built upon the same
engine.  Therefore, any tool using the Internet Explorer engine would have
to be considered when the other tool used the same engine.

It was also pointed out that there is only one user agent that supports the
MSAA required by Flash MX.  I believe that was Window-Eyes. Therefore, any
site that wanted to claim an accessible status using Flash MX would not be
able to do such.  At least until another user agent provided the access for
Flash MX and did not require the MSAA or the Internet Explorer engine.

(NOTE: not trying to pick on Flash)

Sincerely,
Lee Roberts
President/CEO