Re: Highlights from Call Today

From: Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:35:36 -0600
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Joe,

I think there is a misunderstanding here about what we meant by the
following Level 3 success criteria for checkpoint 1.2:

> 3. The presentation does not require the user to view captions and the
> visual presentation simultaneously in order to understand the content.

The working group does understand that users view the captions and the
visual presentation at the same time. Remember that this is a level 3
requirement, not level 1 or 2. What it says is, this is not a minimum
requirement but you can achieve the highest level of compliance if you take
care to design your multimedia presentation in such a way that users do not
have to view captions and the video at the same time "in order to
understand the content". This would be most applicable to instruction
videos.

See reference [1] for for an in informative example of a video that would
meet this requirement.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2002OctDec/0159.html

Andi
andisnow@us.ibm.com