RE: 'Non-economic' rationale for backward compatibility

In terms of Acrobat files however, even Acrobat 5.0 suffers from a
certain lack of manipulability (for want of a better word).  It is not
possible to, say for example, turn all the images off (which would
decrease download time)

Also this brings us back to the problem of file download and sizes -
instead of opening a page, the user is required to download information
which may be many hundreds of pages long. This poses a problem for
people using modems (any kind of modem) instead of broadband (and even
for people using broadband if it is a particularly large file). It
causes problems for regional users (and their electric fences for those
OzeWAI attendees).  It costs more to the user.

And in order for people to access these PDF files they need the latest
version of Jaws. As Jaws retails at several thousand dollars (depending
on which currency), this isn't something that people will do every year.

And to Cynthia's analogy- yes we require that people have their own
assistive technology, whether it be a wheelchair or a screen-reader. But
we don't make a ramp that only motorised wheelchairs can climb, and tell
the people who use their wheelchairs manually to come back when they
have some more money.

Gian