From: Charles McCathieNevile [mailto:charles@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 2:17 PM
To: Slaydon, Eugenia
Cc: WAI GL
Subject: RE: Sign language equivalents

Well, I guess you've hit a bunch of interesting points at once...

Disclaimer: I probably know more about this than the average person in the
street. (It's part of my job <grin/>). That doesn't make me the unquestioned
expert. Besides, I am trying to be clear and simple here <grin/> and may
have
left out some subtle details that turn out to be important. Or I may have
made some major errors. But here is my first attempt at explaining the
problem.

For many Deaf communities, they often consider that sign language is a
different language. Structurally, it is a different language, which people
learn because of a disability.

For people who grow up learning sign language, learning to read and write is
in fact very difficult. Apparently this applies most especially to Deaf
children in hearing families, whose deafness is often not diagnosed for a
couple of years, and whose very early exposure to language is to spoken
language.

The reason is that learning a written language means understanding a complex
system of abstract notation, which is based on the sound of a language.
Since
the sound generally has no meaning for this group of people, the degree of
difficulty approaches the idea of learning to read arabic (as a monolingual
english-speaking child) without learning to read the alphabet - just by
learning whole words.

The fact that in addition the words don't have direct translations - the
syntax and structure is quite different is something that I try to capture
by
using arabic as an example - where direct translation of words is more or
less unintelligible in many cases.

Just as a side note, Australian Sign Language (Auslan) is very different
from
the American Sign Language (ASL) - about as different as English and
Russian.
(Yep, even the alphabets are not at all comprehensible between the two...)

So one might say that many Deaf people have a learning disability with
respect to written language, but often have quite a complex language that
they do use - like many disabilities, generalisations are often inaccurate.

And finally, of course, this only applies to people in certain situations -
people who lose some or all of their hearing after learning to speak, or
after learning to read and write 7 or 8 languages, are in a totally
different
situation. Many older people who lose their hearing progressively cannot
sign
well, but learn some lip reading skills, guess a lot from context, and can
often read and write. Some people cannot hear or see, and use completely
different methods to learn and use language.

cheers

Charles