RE: 'Non-economic' rationale for backward compatibility

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 04:19:29 -0500 (EST)
To: <gian@stanleymilford.com.au>
cc: <goliver@accease.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
my comments interleaved - the stuff I left out I agreed with.

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 gian@stanleymilford.com.au wrote:

Graham said
  2. People with disabilities (especially those with
  cognitive disabilities) may find it harder to recognise
  the importance or value of upgrading their software.

and Gian added
  and may find it more difficult to actually upgrade (as in going through
  the motions of upgrading a site- does anyone have any information on the
  accessibility of install programs?)

Yep, I think that Gian has captured the real need - people in general fail to
recognise the need to upgrade, and even when they see the need there are many
real-world barriers.

  3. It takes time for non-English (internationalised)
  versions of software to be produced.

  I don't think this falls under our charter.

well, our charter requires us to make things work for people. It doesn't say
"for people who speak english", and we would fail to get past the i18n review
in last call if we don't recognise this.