Re: Conclusions from Discussion today

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:21:21 -0000
To: "'GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 "Lisa Seeman" <seeman@netvision.net.il>
> We seem to have lost conform to W3 technologies or at least to widely
> published, publicly available and used specifications.

The W3 certainly aren't the only organisation creating technologies, core
ECMAscript for example is an actual standard, and one with excellent
support in browsers - there's no chance of getting developers away from
using it, and all those nice W3 DOM bindings will be become unusable. (In
strict interpretations they are now as it requires completely
non-standard means to get to the HTMLDocument element.)

> If you develop for an obscure technology that is not supported by
assistive
> technology that the whole WCAG becomes ridicules.

The 4.3 suggestion you quoted certainly seems to cover this requiring the
technology to follow UAAG.

> Also as soon as technologies move outside the w3 space the work done by
W3
> to promote accessibility through RDF, the semantic web etc will become
less
> useful making that page less accessible.

Can you elaborate? - EARL (for example) is quite capable about making
assertions on anything.

Jim.