Re: checkpoint 3.1 RE: rationalize presentation

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:25:14 -0000
To: "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
<kynn-eda@idyllmtn.com>
> > * They only look good at certain resolutions, try looking at graphic
> > navigation text designed for 800 x 600 in 17-21 inch monitors at
upwards of
> > 1280-1024 and it start to become ugly and unusable.
>
> I'm confused, is "ugly" suddenly part of accessibility as well?  Is it
> our place to write guidelines based on aesthetical appeal?

I think ugly was an unfortunate phrase, but scaled images, are less
readable, and understandable than unscaled ones, scaled text doesn't
suffer the problems, so if you're using text it makes sense to only use
text and not images, it is an accessibility point.

Images in text won't make a site inaccessible (any more than any other
single fragment, accessibility is access to content.) however text in
images will make that portion of the content less accessible than just
using text.

Jim.