Re: Definition: time-dependent presentation

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:39:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@earthlink.net>
cc: "_W3C WAI WCAG (GL)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, 3WC WAI X-TECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Yep, I think Katie has captured an important distinction.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Katie Haritos-Shea wrote:

  I am cross posting because this is a WCAG 2.0 definition that needs some
  Currently in the latest WCAG 2.0 Draft "time-dependent presentation" is
  defined as below......

  Definitions (informative)
  time-dependent presentation

  (1)A time-dependent presentation is a presentation which
  is composed of synchronized audio and visual tracks (e.g., a movie),

  (2)a presentation which requires the user to respond interactively at
  specific times in the presentation.

  .......I think that the (2) is a definition of "response time dependent
  presentation", rather than "time-dependent presentation".  The response
  time issue is very important, but different.

  Also, I think it would be a good idea to provide language that includes
  other sense modalities (tracks).  I realize that it is a bit premature
  to include "synchronized smell" and "synchronized vibration" tracks,
  but, I think we should have language that covers this eventuality.

  Katie Haritos-Shea

  Internet/Software/Device Accessibility and Standards

  "The best and most beautiful things in the world
       cannot be seen or even touched.
      They must be felt with the heart."
                  - Helen Keller