RE: Definition of Accessible

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:45:44 +1000 (EST)
To: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I agree with Gregg: whenever I read a statement to the effect that such
and such is "accessible", the questions that always come to mind are: "to
whom?", "under what circumstances?"

Gregg's analysis, I think, is correct. It is reasonable to say, to be
specific, that certain web content is accessible to people who meet
particular criteria, or that it meets a given accessibility standard at a
determinate level; but general statements regarding "being accessible",
simpliciter, are inaccurate and worse, misleading.

It is also legitimate to say that x is more accessible (to some definite
user or group of users) than is y, or that by making specific changes one
would improve the accessibility of the content to specified (categories
of) users.