From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Jason White
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 8:05 PM
To: Web Content Guidelines
Subject: RE: 4.1

Here is a compromise proposal that makes the relationship between
author and intended audience clearer, along the lines that Cynthia
suggested in an earlier discussion of this topic.

A possible amendment to this proposal would be to move what I have
included as success criteria for level 2, up to level 1.

4.1 Write as clearly and simply as is appropriate to the content and the
intended audience.

Success criteria

Level 1:
1. The intended audience of the content has been identified. This
audience shall not be defined in a way that expressly or by
implication is intended to exclude people with disabilities, or with
any given type of disability, as a class.

2. The content is written as clearly and simply as the author
   considers appropriate, bearing in mind its purpose and intended audience.

Level 2:

3. The content has been reviewed and is believed to be understandable
   by any person who is a member of the intended audience as defined
   by the author. [Is this too strong? How could the author be
   satisfied that anyone who meets the definition of the intended
   audience will necessarily understand the content? Can this be
   better expressed?]

Level 3:

4. Simpler versions of the content, or links to simpler informative or
   explanatory material, are provided.

Note: user testing is an excellent means of evaluating whether level 2
has been attained.