Re: 4.1 expert, general and non-reader

From: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 21:08:04 +0100
To: jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
CC: Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I think it is important that user testing is the criteria, who is to say
for whom the material is intended. This is too easy a let out, and
demeans us all.

Every topic worth discussing has a nugget that is of general interest,
and that is what we should encourage to be made available.
or  obscure papers that have nothing to communicate to everyone, will to
my mind never attain this. and why should they.

2 examples (backed by user testing) that clearly might have a level 3
conformance.

many people have heard of einstein,  know of atomic weapons, and thus of
the relation between mass and energy,  a few could possibly quote his
formula.

a more concrete example is http://www.respond.org.uk/help/index.html

this is a brief document for 'discussion', it tries to reduce what is a
very complex issue, that of personal relationships, to a few words.
Obviously there are far more weighty tomes on the issues discussed, and
yet they would be the more valuable if they contributed something to
this version. Responsible authorities seeking level 3 conformance, are
well able to create such a digest, and should be required to.

Evidently one needs some means of identifying who the users might be,
and that remains to be discussed
expert, general, and non-reader(less than 30 words per page), may be a
reasonable reflection of our 3 levels of conformance, for the present.

thanks

jonathan