"word" as used in Checkpoint 1.1

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:08:30 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I spoke with Kerstin Goldsmith from Oracle about the concept of "words" in
languages like Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic.   I wanted to collect some
data on how easy it will be to translate the current checkpoint 1.1 [1]
into other languages.

Kerstin lived in China for several years and has worked in localization for
a while.

She says:
> > >Just ran this by a Chinese friend, and she confirms that these sentences
> > >should be fine to
> > >translate into Chinese (other character-based languages would be fine,
> > >too).  Chinese and
> > >Japanese both have words for "text," "word," and "text equivalent."  It's
> > >localizable for
> > >sure.

Thanks,
--wendy

[1] Checkpoint 1.1 For all non-text content that can be expressed in words,
provide a text equivalent of the function or information the non-text
content was intended to convey.

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium