RE: Color Contrast

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:07:31 +1000
To: Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
gian@stanleymilford.com.au writes:
 > The success criteria:
 > Use a light grey or off-white instead of plain white as the background.
 > is likely to be a huge turn-off to developers. Could we include this,
 > but not make this success criteria part of the minimum set?

Under the current conformance proposal, as I understand it, the
question whether a success criterion belongs in the minimum set is
determined by its importance in meeting the needs addressed in the
checkpoint, not by its perceived acceptability (or lack thereof) to
developers.

Thus the real question is whether this is necessary in order to meet
the contrast requirement. Of course, colour settings can often be
overridden by user agent parameters, so perhaps the central
requirement should be: either provide adequate contrast or allow users
to control colour settings. This might entail inaction where the
developer decides (or is entitled to assume) a baseline user agent
capability that includes the capacity to adjust colour parameters.

We need to find some way of expressing the success criteria for this
which does not create an "until user agents" qualification in the
guidelines.