From: Wendy A Chisholm [mailto:wendy@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 12:34 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Please review: R2 proposal to supplement the current R1
proposal

Hello,

Charles commented to the wai-gl list, and Lisa Seeman agreed that the R1

statement ought to make it clear that while we try to make our
deliverables
understandable and usable by policy makers, we will not let them drive
our
decisions about technical requirements.

Judy, Gregg, Jason, Charles and I have discussed the following
proposal.  We would like to give you all until this Friday (19 April) to

review.  If there are no objections, this will be incorporated into a
new
draft of the Requirements and we will aim to publish to TR early next
week.
We will also allow time for discussion at this week's telecon.

We are proposing a new R2 to supplement the existing R1 proposal.

R1: WCAG 2.0 deliverables should be more understandable and usable by a
wider audience than was anticipated for WCAG 1.0, including policy
makers.   While the WCAG WG does not set policy, harmonization of
accessibility requirements helps drive demand for supporting
implementations in Web applications; therefore it should be easy for
policy
makers and individuals responsible for implementing policy  to
understand,
cite and/or adopt WCAG 2.0 and related deliverables.

R2:   We will try to express the technical requirements in language that

policy makers can understand, adopt, and use, but technical requirements

are not driven by policy; they are driven by the needs of users with
disabilities.

--
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium