Re: Conformance issues with 1.0

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:24:49 -0700
To: <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Cc: "GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 10:04 AM 10/5/2001 , Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>THE FOLLOWING ARE CONCERNS THAT HAVE BEEN EXPRESSED ON 1.0 CONFORMANCE
>SCHEME   (notes from our last teleconf call)
>
>1.      No credit for partial between levels
>2.      Checkpoint by Checkpoint credit has been discussed.
>3.      1.0 relies on priority discussion and since for cognitive all
>guidelines are P1 for someone -- they would all be P1.
>4.      Difference between Conformance and Reporting
>       What has been done  versus what   Needs to be done

Tends to create a de facto implementation plan which may not in
fact be the optimal plan for all web sites out there.

Far too easily leads to a situation in which lawmakers or policy
setters discard everything with too low of a priority level; under
WCAG 1.0 I can think of no one who requires any P3 checkpoints
even those which are GOOD and SENSIBLE and EASY DO, thus making
P3 checkpoints effectively worthless.

Philosophical statement:

A conformance scheme should be a meta-conformance scheme that
allows policy makers to describe their policy in WCAG 2.0 (and
gives guidance to minimum policy requirements), instead of serving
as a policy itself.  WCAG 2.0 conformance should not look like
policy, but should look like a toolkit for building policy.  This
philosophy is in line with the goals and aims of WCAG working
group charter, as we are not "writing laws" but we are writing
primary material to be used by policy setters (as well as
providing technical documentation for developers).

Comments?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>