Consensus Items on User, User, and Author Conflicts

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:03:20 -0500
To: "GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

We addressed BIG ISSUES 14 and 15 in the call and came up with consensus
statements.  These issues were:

14.	Author and User needs conflict.

15.	User and User needs conflict.

The consensus statements we came up with were:

G-3.	Where Author and User needs conflict such that the Author cannot
meet the User needs, then an alternate form which is accessible needs to
be provided that is as close to the original functionality as is
technically possible.

and

G-4.	User vs. User needs is something we need to look at on a
case-by-case basis, but it is also a test we need to apply to every
normative requirement anyway.  “If this done, is some group being cut
out?”

Any comments before we post these to the Consensus Collection?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors
Dept of Ind. Engr. - U of Wis.