Re: General Rule - Do not forbid - only guide except for safety

At 8:08 PM -0500 3/26/01, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Gregg,
>
>	You make an excellent point!
>
>	As soon as you "forbid" something, you find out that some
>disabled group
>at an opposite end of some spectrum "needs" what you've forbidden ... we
>need to explain the consequences, and let the author decide what is most
>appropriate for his/her site.

Excellent point -- the body of knowledge for disability access
considerations, beyond those of blind people (which are generally
well-explored these days), is pretty skimpy.  We're -still- in the
exploration/discovery process of "what works", and as we see more
solutions like Reef's -- which allow you to build an interface for
ONE audience without fearing interference with OTHER audiences'
interfaces -- we will encounter more and more solutions which will
"work" for some people and "not work" for others.

Forbidding them outright will cause a lot of problems, in the same
way that alternate interfaces stated "as a last resort" cause problems
when usable, accessible design is your "first resort"!

Absolutes should be avoided, always.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>