RE: imagemaps

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:31:54 -0800
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
Cc: "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 05:42 AM 3/15/2001 , Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>Dear Charles,
>Thanks for thinking of this common counter example.
>Services like MapBlast and the like can be quite accessible.  The text directions are, for example, quite good.
>But what about the maps themselves -- where EVERY pixel is different hot spot?

Yeah, the problem is, what sort of alt attribute would you set on
each pixel, and how would that be displayed to a user?

For a 200 x 200 map, you surely don't want to generate and send a
a <map> consisting of 4,000 <area> elements. ;)  Just for size
considerations that's worthless, and I daresay that any interface
that would be built would be inherently inaccessible just from
the number of choices. ;)

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison