Re: <HR> (was Re: Fleet Boston's...) (fwd)

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:00:59 -0000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@erols.com>
Anne:-
> All that is necessary is for the screen readers to pick up the
> <hr /> command and translate it to "line", "horizontal rule",
> or even simple <HR> ...

How do the most popular screen readers (JAWS for xample) currently
render <hr />? Is there a way to control that with CSS or in the user
settings somehow? Tokenization of <hr /> could be a good thing, but it
would be outside the scope of its use as defined in HTML 4.01 - put a
line across the screen. I take this as meaning don't do anything on
any other media, which seems a very odd thing for the HTML 4.01
specification to allow... maybe I'm reading between the wrong lines?

Anywa, I think that if there is a change in context somewhere in the
document, it needsto be reflected in the markup somewhere because this
is a structural change... but that structure obviously shouldn't say
how it should be rendered. <div class="context"> is, to me, a bit of a
hack... probably just as dirty as using <hr /> in the first place...

     Advantage: is media independant
     Disadvantage: relies on CSS: doesn't have a default behaviour
       or any attached semantics.

I suppose that another idea would be to use (deep breath) an image,
because then you can set CSS equivalents, an alt, and a longdesc.

Ugh, this one has me baffled. Maybe it's time to put 4.01 on the
bonfire? :-)

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer