Re: color names - CSS techniques for WCAG

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:34:01 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "Wendy A Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>, "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
> There seems to have no writtent rationale for the use of
> color numbers

I was asked the same question a little while ago. I think the
rationale is that "names" are ambiguous, and may not even be set on
some UAs, whereas numbers are exact and should always be interpreted
properly on UAs. *However*, I thought that using names of colors may
allow a user to set the value that they wish for those names ("red at
#a00000" etc.), acutally providing the user with more control, so I've
never been too happy with that section in the TECHS document.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer