RE: summary attribute required? history.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:12:44 -0500 (EST)
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
cc: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
[snip]
Can triple-A pages use tables for layout?

Interesting question. I would argue no. But I would argue that in general
layout tables mean a page does not qualify for double-A either, and I think I
am in a very small minority on this one.

P2 checkpoints that I think layout tables violate:
3.3 Use style sheets to control layout and presentation.
11.1 Use W3C technologies when they are available and appropriate for a task
and use the latest versions when supported.
11.2 Avoid deprecated features of W3C technologies.

I don't think the use of layout tables (per se) violates any P3 checkpoints,
so if you accept that they are OK for double-A then I don't see any argument
against them being OK for triple-A.

cheers

Charles McCN