RE: summary attribute required? history.

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:46:03 -0500
To: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>, "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I've seen this (variants on <Q>summary="table used for layout"</Q>) quite a
bit.  I am almost ashamed to admit that I have been doing this routinely,
primarily to quiet Tidy (and Bobby et al.).  I used to include the number of
rows and columns, but stopped that when JFW started to vocalize that
information by default.  I understand the argument that this technique is
"too uselessly chatty" and am quite sensitive to that position.

Here's my proposal (which should, amazingly enough, keep everyone happy):
We promote <Q>summary=""</Q> as the preferred technique for layout tables --
in much the same way that <Q>alt=""</Q> is the preferred technique for
spacer gifs.

Can Triple-A pages use tables for layout?