15 minutes of notes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:17:47 -0800
From: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@opendesign.com>
To: "Charles McCathieNevile (E-mail)" <charles@w3.org>
Subject: 15 minutes of notes

Hi Charles,
Here's the first few minutes of minutes.

Cynthia

Jason
Greg
William
Charles
Loretta
Cynthia
Marti
Dick

User Agent Capabilities

There  is a checkpoint that requires backward compatibility.  How do we
determine degree?  What is the impact on conformance?

Charles:
tracking UA capabilities.  When can we reasonably expect everyone to have a
UA that does something?  When is the feature so prevelent that we can stop
supporting the alternatives?
If you're still using Win 95, you are on your own to some extent.  If you
are still using DOS, is it reasonable for you to expect the same level of
supprot

Jason:
There is a time at which a feature has been implemented enough that authors
can expect it to be supported.  And, there is a time at which it is
reasonable to stop supporting a workaround for the missing feature.

William:
When does assistive tech qualify as being a user agent?

Jason:
Still under consideration by several working groups.  Definitions in some
guidelines assume for purposes of those guidelines that certain assitive
techs are part of UA.  We should wait for this decision.