Re: wcag2.0 discussion?

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:45:17 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: David Poehlman <poehlman1@home.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 01:31 AM 2001-01-31 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Because, historically, it was a tool that the team developed for ourselves as
>a convenience. (We have a handful of "comma tools - ,validate is another that
>works like this, and you guessed right, it runs the page through the W3C
>validator). It is a very simplistic approach - it just gives a Lynx text dump
>if I recall correctly.

Not quite.  It produces a slightly different structure and the difference is
instructive in terms of our [currently absent] model of the structure of web
content.  The link footnotes are not all held to the end of a 'page.'  Is an
interdigitated flow of multiple concurrent streams, much as the "collated text
transcript" so famous in multimedia circles today.

>But if people are fascinated by the tools, I can look into making more
>information about htem and how they work more easily available. I would
>suggest that this thread be carried on in the site-comments list though...

That's a good point.  But the above remark is GL or GL + others stuff, so I
left this one here.

Al

>cheers
>
>Charles
>
>On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>
>  At 11:26 AM 1/26/2001 , Al Gilman wrote:
>  >It appears the comma tool still works to produce text dumps from anything
on
>  >the W3C.
>  >One can get a text version just by adding the character 'comma' and then
the
>  >string 'text' to the tail end of the URL for which you want a text dump.
>
>  How arcane!  Do you have any idea why this is not documented in
>  any easy-to-find location?
>
>  --Kynn
>

>--
>Charles McCathieNevile
<http://www.w3.org/People/Charles>http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
409 134 136
<http://www.w3.org/WAI>http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617 258 5999
>Location: I-cubed, 110 Victoria Street, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia
>(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France)