From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 06:32:57 -0800
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
When Anne and Jonathan first raised the notion of "alt images for text" I
had, shall we say, strong reservations. Now as I look rather
dispassionately at the items in the "Device Independent" box of
http://rdf.pair.com/xguide.htm and attend to the third: "Illustrate
appropriately" I am persuaded that although what this conjures up is a
graphic associated with a blob of text, which isn't currently contained in
GL 1, it is an even more general statement of the first bullet: "Provide
content equivalents" (which covers the first three GL 1 checkpoints).

Illustrating appropriately is easily thought of as including alt text for
images and all the caption/summary/description/+ activities that are so
laboriously delineated in connection with multimedia via SMIL, etc. It also
includes what is now the second bullet "Emphasize
content/structure with presentation" since such action is importantly

And of course the roots of "depiction" infer evoking a "mental image" of
something. That mental image is actually a lower level of abstraction from
the sub-verbal level of semantics and is what communicating is about. The
details of its evocation are enumerated at differing levels by the

Basically I'm arguing to include what is now (obliquely?) called for in 3.4
"Use multimedia to illustrate concepts" - although that doesn't specify
illustrating text - under GL 1.

Any takers?