WCAG 2.0: Linear or Fractal? [was: Re: On Further Consideration]

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:01:56 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>
> I keep looking at the list of guidelines and I think I might urge
> that #4 really/truly belongs in #1.

I agree; device independence leads to compatability... and I also think
that "user controlled" is a spin off. According to Nelson, "heirarchies are
evil"; I think what we have are a few key accessibility concepts that are
all interpenetrable, and they could be sorted as something that is a Web of
checkpoints, rather than a list. For example, "device independance" may
well lead to "user control" and "compatability", but certain points in
"user control" are linked back to "compatability".
IOW, stop thinking in such linear terms!

I don't know how this reflects on the WCAG 2.0 draft itself though. That is
left up to the consideration of everyone else...

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
@prefix : <http://infomesh.net/2001/01/n3terms/#> .
[ :name "Sean B. Palmer" ] has :homepage <http://infomesh.net/sbp/> .