Re: Revised List of Technologies (with volunteers...)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:47:06 -0500 (EST)
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
cc: Katie Heritos-Shea <kshea@fedworld.gov>, WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
How about using 'illustration' and 'decoration' as the two terms. It makes
more sense to me that we describe a table as an illustration of a point (or a
paragraph of text, for that matter) than describing an image as an exhibit.

(except in courtroom drama <grin/>)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Al Gilman wrote:

  At 11:45 PM 2001-01-03 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
  >At 04:56 AM 1/3/2001 , Marti wrote:
  >>Regarding the use of graphics, I would like to see some changes in the
  >>terminology used.  Graphics is too generic a term and I doubt that Anne
  >>really wants two different sizes of all the 'decorative' stuff.  How about
  >>we call the images used to augment text "illustrations" to distinguish their
  >This is a good idea, as it clearly identifies a _function_
  >rather than a specific set of _formats_.

  Please book the term 'exhibit' into the lingo.  This is borrowed from a common
  term referring to both figures and tables, but as intended it includes set-off
  equations as well.  Just the other day I discovered that we shouldconsider
  logos to be in this class.

  This serves as a superclass for illustrations and other items that enter into
  the formatting logic in a similar way.

  >Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
  >Sr. Engineering Project Leader, Reef-Edapta
  >Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain Internet
  >Contributor, Special Edition Using XHTML
  >Unofficial Section 508 Checklist

until 6 January 2001 at:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France