Re: Revised List of Technologies (with volunteers...)

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:46:27 -0500
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, "Marti" <marti@agassa.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@crosslink.net>
At 11:45 PM 2001-01-03 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 04:56 AM 1/3/2001 , Marti wrote:
>>Regarding the use of graphics, I would like to see some changes in the
>>terminology used.  Graphics is too generic a term and I doubt that Anne
>>really wants two different sizes of all the 'decorative' stuff.  How about
>>we call the images used to augment text "illustrations" to distinguish their
>This is a good idea, as it clearly identifies a _function_
>rather than a specific set of _formats_.

Please book the term 'exhibit' into the lingo.  This is borrowed from a common
term referring to both figures and tables, but as intended it includes set-off
equations as well.  Just the other day I discovered that we shouldconsider
logos to be in this class.

This serves as a superclass for illustrations and other items that enter into
the formatting logic in a similar way.