Re: Meta Refresh (was Re: Proposal: 2.4 rewording)

From: Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:04:37 -0700
To: "Thanasis Kinias" <tkinias@optimalco.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> The meta refresh is a slick trick and it's easy to implement.  Designers
will
> howl if WCAG says not to use it -- I know, I've heard them at training
> sessions.  But there are other ways of doing the job without introducing
> accessibility problems.

Given that this is the most common way around server redirects, and these
redirect pages don't present content themselves and endeavor to avoid excess
user interaction, I don't consider this to be a problem with accessibility.
If the page being refreshed contained words intended for the user to read
(e.g., splash pages), I would have different thoughts, but the text on
redirect pages is usually nothing more than a safety net.

If necessary, it's possible to require ACSS not to speak the redirect text
to avoid disorientation. But the fact is that it is unprofessional and as a
result unacceptable for many content providers to require an unnecessary
clickthrough.

-