RE: Skip Nav Ideas

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:30:35 -0400
To: "'W3C WAI Guide Lines'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "'Katie Haritos-Shea'" <kshea@apollo.fedworld.gov>
Cc: michael_cortese@ita.doc.gov, "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, "'Chiarito-Mazzarella,Jay'" <jay.chiarito-mazzarella@gartner.com>, "'gregory j. rosmaita'" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Just my two cents.
Yep, "skip navigation" links are kind of a kludge, no matter how you do
them.
Allow me to remind people that "jump to main content" doesn't have to be
invisible, and that there are distinct disadvantages to hiding such a
feature.  For example, folks who are sighted but are not using a mouse
(e.g., severe C.P.) would miss it.
Section 508 requires this capability, so the discussion is really one of
"how" and not "if".
Sure, dynamic content is nice if you can get it, but I would think
discussions that don't assume such would benefit a broader audience.
-- Bruce