Re: Updating 2.4, re-revised

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Victor Reed" <areed2@calstatela.edu>

> And it is not difficult to design bypass
> technologies that will still meet legitimate security and economic
> constraints.

I disagree. Timeouts such as those present in Dell's site (along with those
at my former companies) are based on hard business rules on the back end.
Expedia needs you to lock in your reservation so it can relay that request
to the computerized reservation system it gets its data from. (And it uses
meta refreshes to keep the HTTP connection alive while it contacts the slow
pathetic creature.) HomeGrocer and Webvan needed to accurately manage
delivery trucks and merchandise in the best possible manner. Resource
management is critical in e-commerce.

Ticketmaster is an extreme example: they require transactions to be
completed in 5 minutes, or they release reserved tickets back into the pool.
This isn't something they can change trivially, because they're using the
same reservation system in stores nationwide. And auctions all have timeouts
that can't be shifted.

It should be noted that the only sites where this presents an economic
barrier to the content provider are e-commerce sites, and it has been
suggested before that web content and web applications (such as those found
in e-com) have different rules. This is one rule that should definitely be
applied to static content, but cannot be applied to many web applications.

-