Including content modes in 4.1

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:59:44 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I suggested the addition of content modes to Gudeline 4.1 as a
possible way of dealing with the vowel mark problem in Hebrew and
Arabic, which was brought to our attention by Lisa Seeman (vowel marks
are required to support screen reading in user agents, and for
accessibility to people with limited reading ability.) If there
is no objection, I would like to see Gudeline 4.1 updated as follows:

4.1 Choose content modes, languages, API's, and protocols that support
the use of these guidelines.
	Content modes (e.g. Hebrew with and without vowel marks,)
	markup languages, multimedia formats, software interface
	standards, etc., vary in their support of accessibility. When
	choosing which technologies and content modes to use, consider
	how easy it is apply these guidelines. Where feasible, favor
	content modes and technologies that:
	* support assistive technology in user agents;
	* permit equivalents to be associated with or synchronized
	  with auditory, graphical, and multimedia content;
	* allow the logical structure of the content to be defined
	  independently of presentation;
	* support device-independence;
	* are documented in published specifications and can be
	  implemented by user agent and assistive technology
	  developers.
--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.