RE: Illustrating Guidelines

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:41:46 -0400
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Bruce,

	Thanks, Bruce. I really did put a lot of energy into it, and not enough
time to make hubby growl over the project...

At 10:23 AM 5/10/01 -0400, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>     Dear Anne (et al.)   First of all, let me say that I very much like
>your work at URL:
><http://users.erols.com/stevepem/guidelines/G3/g3.html>   > I guess this
>means I met your and Bruce's challenge to prove that even
>> the guidelines can be illustrated!    My challenge was more on the order
>that illustrations can not adequately REPLACE text.   >

You are confusing illustrations with symbolism. Illustrations, by
definition, illustrate something, often text ... Pictures, painting,
drawings, maps, and other graphic types can be illustrations, or they may
stand as content on their own depending on their complexity.

An aside: One of the few sites I have on my links page for the kids that is
used independently by first graders is a site that displays a satellite
view of a spot on the site map ... needs no reading by the user to use it
to get a very interesting picture which is a interesting to scientists as
to my first graders ... (how often is text able to span such a group of
users?)<grin>

				Anne
Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com