Re: alt to text

Adam,

    My understanding is that punctuation is turned off to enable a better
flow of words. A lot of people who use speech readers use them at a speed
that would send me out of the room!

	About general uses of punctuation: that situation is unlikely to improve
as long as there are no editors between the author and the web. Back when I
was teaching special ed students in high school, there was an afternoon of
note! The class was seven boys, and their assignment was to reply to an
email from a visiting alien who asked why there was violence on our planet.
To reply, they were listing, first the types of violence, then the
instruments of voilence, with substantial series in the sentences. The boys
got into a heated discussion about how to put the commas in those
sentences. And I stood back grinning, because not a one of those boys had
ever turned in a paper and pencil assignment that contained a comma, and
never did. It was the interactivity of the pre-Web Internet that made them
want to write well on computer....

				Anne

At 11:45 AM 5/3/01 -0700, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
>NO: " [Picture of George Washington] "
>
>If it became customary to use punctuation appropriately on the web,
>screen reader users would likely keep it on. In any case, it is hardly
>an argument against improving accessibility for people with attention
>deficits, projective perception deficits, object agnosias and many
>others who require text-only presentation but don't use text-to-speech
>technology.
>
>				Adam Reed
>				areed2@calstatela.edu
>
>Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45