Re: alt to text

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:46:09 -0700
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:59:27PM -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
> Alan,
>
> 	Thanks for your helpful response. In the case of the "Picture of George
> Washington", the title, which followed the picture on the same line was
> "George Washington in the French and Indian War" ... the purpose of the
> picture was to illustrate the "who" of the content ... In the case of the
> "Illustration of an ideal web page", the picture is followed by Checkpoint
> 3.2 ... The function is to illustrate the componants of a ideally
> accessible web page.
>
> How would I word either of those in an alt tag?
>
> 					Anne

If the picture is a distinct element - which it is for case (1) -
then it should be set apart with brackets, like this:

alt=" [Picture of George Washington] "

The second, "Illustration of an ideal web page", needs to be softened,
perhaps with a question mark, unless you intend it as a challenge. My
gut reaction was: Ideal for what? and to whom?

I'd prefer

alt="(picture: Ideal web page?)"

but literature is, in some unavoidable part, a matter of style.

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.