RE: Accessibility of ALT texts

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:36:48 -0500
To: "gregory j. rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>, <lois@lois.co.uk>
Response in JRG:
At 12:53 PM 4/20/2001 -0400, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:
>jim allan wrote:
>
>quote
>In Windows, the attributes of the ALT text is controlled by the operating
>system display parameters for "tool tips" (Control Panel | Display |
>Appearance | Item | Tooltip). The user has controls of font size, background
>color, and font weight (plus others in combination with other system
>settings). I have change my tool tips to make them easier to read since
>reaching the delicate age where I require bifocals
>unquote
>
>true enough, and the information you provided can't be re-disseminated often
>enough, but i was referring to the inline rendering of ALT text when image
>rendering is turned off--to my knowledge tooltip generation is suppressed
>when image loading is turned off...  that being said, i agree that tooltips
>are a positive boon to a large segment of users, and control over tooltip
>size is an important issue (and, i would argue, a requirement for UAAG
>compliance),

JRG: We already have this requirement for controlling the rendering of
content through Checkpoint 4.1 (size), 4.2 (family), 4.3 (colors).

>but exposition of ALT via a tooltip is an implementation
>decision, and not something defined by the HTML/XHTML specs...
>
>gregory.

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund