Re: Textual Images vs. Styled Text, Round Two *ding*

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:31:27 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, love26@gorge.net (William Loughborough), Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, WAI ER group <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
The thread continues on wai-ig under title

At 06:28 PM 9/27/00 -0500, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>Kynn and William,
>Could you please take this thread off the UA list.
>Thank you
>At 03:43 PM 9/27/2000 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>>At 02:50 PM 9/27/00 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>>>I think you may have missed _my_ point...
>>Nope. Everyone's missing the "point" - there is no such entity as "image
>>becomes "image" and must endure the same requirements whether it is an
>>image of text or an image showing apples vs. oranges. It requires a
>>textual equivalent.
>>KB::  "I don't think anyone is claiming it's not, so I'm not sure you
>>need to make this point so forcefully. :)"
>>WL: The reason I'm sure that I do need to make the point "forcefully" is
>>that somehow it has been allowed to slip by that images of text are a
>>special case of images. They are not. IMO this also goes for PDF. The
>>clear purpose of the guidelines applicable to this entire genre is that
>>if there's any semantics in there it must be teased out. If not, then...
>Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
>Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
>Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
>College of Applied Life Studies
>University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820
>Voice: (217) 244-5870
>Fax: (217) 333-0248
>E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
>WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant: