RE: Terminology revisited

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:29:14 -0500
To: "GL - WAI Guidelines WG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Charles had said:
In the wide scheme of things I agree that the terminology is of little
consequence so long as it is used consistently

This is just a quick post that in my experience, terminology is critical.
Wars (real and email) have been fought over misunderstandings over the use
of words and what they mean.   Defining a term differently than people
understand it has caused more unnecessary confusion and problems......   And
with guidelines - you are not there to catch their misunderstanding and / or
correct it.

I suggest that we choose our terms very carefully and that we watch for
terms that might be misunderstood.  Then either use other terms or accompany
the terms with a sentence or phrase to avoid misunderstanding.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors
Dept of Ind. Engr. - U of Wis.