Re: Clarification Of Technique 1.3

Tricky question.

Chris said:

>  Almost all multimedia require an audio description (I
>  argue that the visual track is almost always necessary for understanding the
>  context). Almost no multimedia have an audio description (difficult to
>  create and sync). Therefore almost all sites that include multimedia will
>  fail the A rating. This can degrade the authority of the WAI guidelines.

All true, but in many cases you can get away with a few short descriptions
which will do the trick.  It is my experience that, when told they should
supply audio descriptions with multimedia, authors immediately think
they have to write pages and pages of descriptions in order for the video
to be accessible.  In fact, brevity is best, and that might simply mean
adding five seconds of black at the beginning of the video in order
to accommodate a five-second description which summarizes the
video experience sufficiently.

That being said, technology is changing in such a way that authors
will no longer have to squeeze descriptions into the natural pauses
of a program's audio track.  SMIL 2.0, for example, will contain
attributes which allow authors to, say, pause a video and program
audio track, play an audio description track, and then resume playing
the video/program audio tracks.  thus, you'll be able to fit extended
description into places where there was previously no room.   And users will
have the option of hearing them or not (just like with captions).  Assuming
that popular SMIL players (RealPlayer, GRiNS/GRiNS Lite, QuickTime, etc.)
will support the full 2.0 recommendation, we have every reason to
ask for priority 1 for audio descriptions now, rather than in a later
version of the WCAG.

Geoff Freed
WGBH/NCAM