RE: Status of RTF format?

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:11:03 -0400
To: "Greg Gay" <g.gay@utoronto.ca>, <love26@gorge.net>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> My question is, if a developer includes RTF copies of word processed
> documents on a web site, are they obliged to include an html version in
> order to satisfy guideline 11.1?

Yes, absolutely.  RTF is only modestly more accessible than PDF (or Word or
WordPerfect for that matter).  Sure, its a shared non-proprietary format,
but there are no public specifications for "validity", let alone
"accessible".  Besides, all of those formats are presentation oriented -- as
opposed to HTML which was MEANT to share information (and is being ABUSED
when used for GUI formatting effects).