Re: text equivalents for multimedia

Wendy,
	Excuse my denseness. We just got an Internet site last week for the school
I work at. I've known it was coming, and have had bursts of ideas on the
brain for weeks now. One was inspired by finding a site: Famous Americans:
Pictures and music by Mrs. Eberle's 2nd grade class (Washington, Jefferson,
Lincoln, Tubmam, Anthony, King)
http://www.ih.k12.oh.us/ps/americana/Eberle/EBsongs.htm
on which 2nd graders sing songs about each of the pictured history people.
There is no text other than the names under the pictures which serve as
links to the music. (I would have loved to have found the words to some of
the songs, but I figured it was more than the kids could handle and the
teacher saved some for another year...
	Anyway, one of my first grade classes, weekly practices "He's Got the
Whole World In His Hands" until we get a mic in the new lab so they can
begin to record and edit the piece.

	If I am to exemplify "accessibility" to other elementary teachers making
web pages in their classses, is it enough that I add a text to the page or
to a link to page of the words? Do I need to include a copy of the musical
notation? Would I be required to obtain a copyright to include the musical
notation if that's necessary or usable to the hearing impaired (e.g.)?

	The website is "free" educational website for schools under the name of
Family Education. I get to the site at: http://myschool.com
I attended the training last week, and noted, tho the presenters were both
from Boston, and my ears have been long-trained to the slower pace of
southern speakers, I don't think I heard any mention of accessibility, tho
the trainers said we could only put one graphic on per page, I found out
over the weekend, that I could put a page of graphics (about 12), with a
background, as long as I store the graphics and background on an off-site
server ... and I'm anxious to put up a web page with sound on it.... But I
do want to do it right. But what is right? I try to read up on and and end
up confused.... Again excuse my denseness.....

					Anne

At 01:10 PM 2/23/2000 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>hello,
>
>In the general techniques document in the section on audio and video it says:
>Equivalents for sounds can be provided in the form of a text phrase on the
>page that links to a text transcript or description of the sound file. The
>link to the transcript should appear in a highly visible location such as
>at the top of the page. However, if a script is automatically loading a
>sound, it should also be able to automatically load a visual indication
>that the sound is currently being played and provide a description or
>transcript of the sound.
>
>This implies that the text equivalent of a multimedia clip can *only*
>appear on a separate page.  What if someone provides in on the same
>page?  This question has come up in ER as we are trying to determine what
>to ask the author if we find multimedia on a page.
>
>I thought we had discussed this already on this list, but I did not see any
>mention of it in the archives nor in minutes.  Either I missed it or I'm
>thinking of an ER thread.
>
>--wendy
>--
>wendy a chisholm