Re: A "one size fits all" personalized web page?

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:00:43 -0800
To: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
CC: charles@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
SL:: "Basically, user-side CSS is not a reasonable solution for the
average blind user with limited computer technology."

WL: It would seem that whatever server-side or required-of-author
accommodation is fully as unreasonable in terms of probability of
implementation. I don't think authors are as likely to undertake the
sorts of things Scott is recommending as is implied by his proposals.
The chance of getting semantics communicated is clearly: under the
control of the author; doable by various strategies. If we urge the
author to follow certain guidelines, it is possible for everybody to
win.

What I propose is that we find out if this is an unworkable strategy -
so far I've seen nothing to prove that. Scott's letter to incoming
freshman might be paraphrased as a letter to Web authors proposing that
they must conform to guidelines/universal design vs. learn how to design
particular variations for various situations. I'm sure the argument for
people reading through a straw would differ from that for people who
couldn't read - etc., etc.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE