Re: Second Browser Window Question

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:46:52 -0500 (EST)
To: Joel Sanda <joels@ecollege.com>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
This is a thread from IG, but i think it belongs to UA and GL so I have
crossposted it to them.

My personal feeling is that when browsers support CSS it is easy to say

A[target=_new]:before{content:"Open new window"}

or to do any number of other things to give the user the option of opening a
new viewport or replacing the current one. Some browsers such as Amaya and
Lynxdon't give the option, and of course in a voice browser there is no
sensible way to understand the difference - this is a visual rendering
method. In the meantime I would suggest putting "new window" into the text of
the link. (Off the top of my head).

Thoughts?

Charles McCN