Re: Errata process for WCAG and/or W3C

pjenkins@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I was under the impression, but apparently mistaken, that the "current
> version" [1] of the document had in fact incorporated the errata [2] as
> they came in and were posted.  In other words, why have a 5 May 1999
> version and a "current version" if they are still the same?  Can't we
> integrate the errata without changing the level of the recommendation?
>
> I reviewed the W3C process [3] and found no mention of "how" to manage
> errata.

The W3C Process Document does not explain to that level of
detail how W3C works. It does say in the 9 June draft [4]
(and earlier versions):

      W3C will make every effort to make archival documents
      indefinitely available at their original address in
      their original form.

W3C *never* (to the best of our ability) changes content
of a published technical report. Therefore, it's impossible
to incorporate errata; you have to publish a new document
(which we've done, e.g., for HTML 4 on two occasions).

There is an issue that has not been dealt with at W3C
as
a whole: what is the normative status of errata pages?
In particular, the AC does not review errata decisions
as they review the original document, so can the WG
just say "this is the fix to that problem" or should
significant fixes be reviewed by the AC?

This topic should be discussed on the chairs list, in
my opinion.

Also, there is a bit on managing errata in the
Guidebook [5], but it's not "normative"; just suggested
practice.

 - Ian

[4] http://www.w3.org/2000/06/Process-20000609/tr.html
[5] http://www.w3.org/Guide/Reports#errata

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WAI-WEBCONTENT-ERRATA
> [3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/tr.html#Recs
>
> Regards,
> Phill Jenkins,  1.512.838.4517
> IBM Accessibility Center - Special Needs Systems
> http://www.ibm.com/able

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783