RE: demo of grouping with divs and accesskey

question from Gregg with my comments....

From: Cynthia Shelly [mailto:cyns@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 3:56 AM
To: 'gv@trace.wisc.edu'
Subject: RE: demo of grouping with divs and accesskey

An excellent question.  In this demo I was just trying out the tech, and
ignoring the UI issues (bad dev, no cookie ;). When we label form elements
on our site, we underline the hotkey (following the windows style), but
since these areas don't have text labels, that doesn't work.

Some options I can think of off the top of my head:

add a text label with an underlined letter
define a standard set of shortcuts (n for nav etc) either for a site or in
general.
add explanatory text as I did in this example
add explanatory text that is hidden from visual user agents and read by
auditory user agents.   I don't know of any markup that would do this, but
there may be a way I'm not aware of.  I'm also not sure if this is a good
idea, since power-users could also benefit from this feature if they knew
about it.
have user agents expose all the "accesskey" attributes in a document listed
with the title of the tag.
This brings up another interesting issue.  I'm not aware of any way to mark
a character as a hotkey in a structural way.  A quick cruise through the
HTML 4 spec didn't yield anything obvious.  We use underlines (either <u> or
doesn't make sense in an auditory UI.  It would be interesting to have tag
similar to the label tag that allowed an author to tie a hotkey to an area.
something like

<h1>Area <hotkey for=foobar>X</hotkey></h1>

This would allow user agents to choose a meaningful way to mark the x as a
hotkey.

--Cynthia