RE: linearized tables

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:46:23 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Hi Charles,

I don't know if we're saying the same thing.  I'm saying that nested
headers do not require

in any <TH> or <TD>

nor do you need axis or scope for that matter,

when the algorithm
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.4.3  applies.

Is that what you're also saying?

At 06:08 PM 4/17/00 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>As you pointed out, HTML provides a simple way of marking up a set of headers
>along the top and another along one side of a table. Using this would meet
>the requirements of the checkpoint
>Charles McCN
>On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>   More on linearized tables...
>[first issue snipped]
>   Another issue is that the proposed regulations require that
>   "Markup shall be used to associate data cells and header cells for data
>   tables that have two or more logical levels of row or column headers."
>   This is indeed a Priority 1 in the guidelines (checkpoint 5.2).  However,
>   for the simple, common case of nested headings along the top and left side
>   of a table, no additional markup is needed since HTML 4 provides an
>   algorithm http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.4.3 which
>   identifies the proper headers. So I'd like to allow an exception for this
>   case, because
>   - in general, we're best off asking only for what is really needed
>   - Someone else is bound to notice the same thing and point out that we're
>   asking for something that's not needed, thereby opening the guidelines to
>   attack--e.g. court.
>   Len
>   --
>   Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
>   Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
>Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org    phone: +61 (0) 409 134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                      http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Location: I-cubed, 110 Victoria Street, Carlton VIC 3053
>Postal: GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001,  Australia

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)